We're ready for a safe and delicious semester!
Good food brings people together. It’s our goal to ensure that this still happens this year, even if that food must be enjoyed apart. We want you to feel comfortable and confident about eating on campus, which is why health and safety is our number one priority for every meal we serve.
Carleton University is following the advice of Ottawa Public Health, the Ontario Ministry of Health, Public Health Ontario and the Public Health Agency of Canada for the latest information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and recommendations for prevention.
Carleton Dining’s safety measures and level of operations will reflect the most up-to-date information from public health officials and the University. As the COVID-19 situation evolves, please refer to this page and the provided resources to stay informed about changes relevant to the campus dining experience.
You will see a multitude of different floor decals and marketing materials while on campus. We ask that you abide by them and listen to our staff to ensure you have the safest interaction possible.
How will the Caf work with COVID-19?
We have redesigned your experience at the caf from the ground up to respect physical distancing & safety requirements while still ensuring that we continue to offer exciting, healthy and flavourful choices for you!
- The caf will continue to be an all access facility, but with some restrictions to help us manage the venue capacity.
- the caf is open to meal plan holders only (i.e. the residence All Access meal plan, the Reduced Plan, and the Ravens All Access meal plan), please note that Convenience Dollars, Dining Dollars and other forms of payment will not be accepted; however Oasis will operate as an alternative location to the caf for the meal plan and walk-in traffic. It will be take-out only, and quantities may be limited by production restrictions.
- The caf will be open from 7:30am to 8pm each day, but there will be distinct breakfast/lunch/dinner meal periods, with a few food options available in between periods. This will allow for enhanced cleaning and safe food preparation.
- Breakfast: 7:30am to 9:30am
- Lunch: 11am to 3pm
- Dinner: 4:30pm to 8pm
- There will be one entrance and one exit in to/out of the caf, with traffic paths clearly marked from one to the other. There will also be an entrance only elevator, and an exit elevator.
- A limited number of people will be able to enter at a time to allow for physical distancing.
- A red visual indicator will be placed in the stairwells and Residence Commons lobby to let students know if the caf is currently at capacity.
- Students will self-swipe to gain access to the caf. Initially this will be at attended stations, but self-swipe turnstiles are expected to be installed mid-September. The data collected from your swipe may also be used for contact tracing purposes and released to Ottawa Public Health, if required.
- Masks will be required at all times, except when seated. Students must remain seated at all times unless picking up food items or returning dishes to the ecology stations.
- Each meal period will offer a variety of food options for students to choose from, all of which will be served by the staff.
- Seating areas will be open, but with physically distanced restrictions in place.
- You can always view the menus online at https://dining.carleton.ca/locations/the-caf/
Will the caf be all access?
Yes, the caf will continue to be an all access facility, but with some restrictions to help us manage the venue capacity. Essentially the amount of food you can eat isn’t limited, but there will be entry limitations.
- There will be a limited number of people allowed in the facility at a time to permit physical distancing requirements. While you will be able to immediately re-enter the caf upon exit, please be considerate of others that haven’t eaten yet and allow them to enter first.
- Take-out meals will be available at Oasis in limited quantities. Please note that picking up a take-out meal triggers a 1 hour access delay for the caf.
What do I need to bring to the caf?
We ask that you bring a few things with you in order to enter the caf:
- Please bring your Campus Card in order to swipe for entry.
- Please note you must wear a mask at all times in the caf, except when you are seated to eat.
- We are currently working on a contactless soft drink dispensing system. It will require you to use the Coke app on your smartphone, so you may want to install that and pre-program your preferred drinks into your favourites list.
What NOT to bring to the caf
- Please do not bring additional personal items to the caf not listed above (i.e., laptops, books).
- Please do not bring any reusable mugs, water bottles or cutlery.
This year Oasis will be used differently then what you are used to. We have transformed the Oasis into a “to-go” option for our residential dining hall the caf. Oasis will serve as an option for those who do not have a meal plan, for those who choose to take their caf meal to go, or for students with dietary restrictions. Our mobile application Hey Chef will also be available at Oasis so you may order ahead and pick up your meal while avoiding waiting in line.
Open 7:30am-7:00pm for walk-in/pay as you go customers and meal plan holders (please note that Oasis will be closed for 30 minutes between meal periods):
- Breakfast: 7:30am-10:30am
- Lunch 11:00am-3:30pm
- Dinner 4:00pm-7:00pm
Oasis late-night service will resume:
- Closed from 7pm-8pm
- Open from 8:00pm-12:00am (for walk-in/pay as you go only)
Mobile ordering has come to Carleton Dining!
Our retail operations are centralized in the University Centre’s Food Court, which will be re-opening on September 8th. The hours of operation will be 10:30 am until 2:30 pm Monday through Friday. Please note that there will be no seating available at this location. Take a look at our new menu here.
Skip the line and get your food faster with our new mobile ordering app, Hey Chef! With Hey Chef, you can order your food ahead of time. You can pay ahead of time as well, so you only need to spend moments in the Food Court to get your meal once the app notifies you that your order is ready. The Food Court has been outfitted with physical distancing measures, including floor signage and additional sneeze guards. Similar to our traditional Food Court experience, all meals are still served in to-go containers.
Tim Hortons Richcraft
Tim Hortons Richcraft will be re-opening on August 17th, 2020. The regular hours of operation will be:
7:00 am until 3:00 pm Monday through Friday
To ensure the safety of our staff and the Carleton University community, Tim Hortons Richcraft will focus on take-out & mobile orders through our app Hey Chef. All dining room seating will be closed until further notice.
Starbucks University Centre
Starbucks will be re-opening on September 8th, 2020 and our hours of operation will be 8:00am until 3:00pm from Monday to Friday. As with our other locations, the health and well-being of our customers and partners are our priority. You can also order in advance at Starbucks through our new mobile app, Hey Chef.
Rodney's Kitchen- our new food truck!
We are very excited to announce our newest location… Rodney’s Kitchen our new mobile food truck! Rodney’s Kitchen will be parked right outside the O-Train station, though the location may change throughout the school year. It will be open for breakfast from 7:30 am until 9:00am & then for lunch from 11:00 am until 1:00pm, Mon-Fri – weather permitting. Sanitizer stations will be available. Stay tuned for our grand opening date!